A small, landlocked country in West Africa, Burkina Faso is home to a vibrant community of artists and engaged citizens, who provide an example of the type of political change that can be achieved when people come together. It is an inspiration, not only to the rest of Africa but also to the rest of the world.
Through music, film, ecology, visual art, and architecture, the people featured in this film are carrying on the revolutionary spirit of Thomas Sankara. After assuming the presidency in 1983, Sankara was killed in a 1987 coup d’état led by his friend and close advisor Blaise Compaoré, who subsequently ruled the country as an autocrat for twenty-seven years. In October 2014 a massive popular insurrection led to his removal. Today, the spirit of resistance is mightier than ever in Burkina Faso.
- UNITED STATES / NEW YORK, NY, Best Documentary,Winter Films Awards, 2018
- CROATIA / ZAGREB, Audience Award,Festival of Tolerance, 2018
- BELGIUM / LEUVEN, UNESCO Special Award,Afrika Filmfestival, 2018
- CANADA / Montreal, Special Mention,Vues d’Afrique, 2018
- ITALY / Ischia, Best Documentary,16th Ischia Film Festival, 2018
- ITALY / Bologna, Benedetto Senni Prize,Terra di Tutti Film Festival, 2018
- CAPE VERDA / Praia, Best Feature Film Documentary,Plateau Festival Internacional de Cinema Praia Cabo Verde, 2018
- INDIA / Shimla, Best Documentary (International),International Film Festival of Shimla, 2018
- ARMENIA / Yerevan, Best Documentary Special,Impact Humanity Television and Film Festival, 2019